If you asked me five years ago, I would be been as happy as a pig in the sunshine to participate. Fast-forward five years, to today, my answer is NO. Here’s why:
1. Too much unexamined racism – both personal and institutional
2. Too much token diversity programming versus making changes to teaching and learning. But, that would require doing Number One.
3. The psychosis of race is too deep to expect the leadership to have a Come to Jesus moment and wipe the slate clean.
I’ve struggled for years and years, without any support or recognition, to bring independent schools to a new phase in their diversity journey, and to what end?
Too many independent schools are stuck in a diversity time warp 20 years out-of-date. School leaders still think that affinity groups, multicultural assessments, and diversity committees will solve their diversity problems when in reality what is needed is:
1. An examination and eradication of White Privilege; and
2. Culturally Responsive Pedagogy, which focuses on good teaching and quality relationships between students and teachers.
So, there it is. Instead of becoming angry, frustrated, and emotionally drained, I will focus my time and energy on my family, friends, students, self and curricula.